Thursday 21 March 2013

Sheppard - Let Me Down Easy

So, first post, NERVES!!

I scoped this one in the cab home from work last night/this morning, pleasantly surprised to hear a song that didn't make me reach for the headphones on the exceedingly brief ride from work to den.


Haven't heard of these guys before, according to our friendly neighbourhood 4:30AM radio presenter they're outta Brisbane, and for me it's pretty damn awesome to hear such amazingly crafted + talented Aussie tunage.
Sheppard are six-piece act with three siblings (the Sheppard siblings, natch) on vox, piano and bass. They've listed influences along the lines of Coldplay, Fleetwood Mac, John Mayer and Radiohead; to be honest I can't really hear that much of any of these guys on this track, except for a John Mayer-ish pop sensibility and there are some Radiohead-y production cues. Listening to this for somewhere around the 20th time while I'm writing this the lead vocal does have a bit of Chris Martin to it. But just a little bit. I don't like Chris Martin.
The thing that got me about this track was the vocals and harmonies. Straight away you're hit by big + lush "Wooooaaaaaaahss" that could've come straight out of an AFI track. The whole thing is catchy as the common cold and I was singing along by the end of the first chorus. Make sure you get a load of the sounds-suspiciously-looped acoustic guitar beat too.Another thing that really sings to me (pun completely intended) about this track is that, especially in the verses, the whole song is so damn happy, even though it is without a doubt a break-up/imminent break-up song, something that always got me about Go Your Own Way by Fleetwood Mac, so I guess their influence isn't too much of a stretch either.


(Something’s faded inside of your heart/So you’re crusadin’ to tear us apart/It’s clear now, I know you’re gonna leave me)

Check these guys out, I reckon they're gonna get massive within the next 12 months.


http://wearesheppard.com/
http://www.youtube.com/wearesheppard
http://www.facebook.com/wearesheppard

No comments:

Post a Comment